Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The coin collector's wife

Dedicated to All Coin Collectors' Wives
Author Unknown.

Here are two lines that you have all heard before, I think, from The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge: 
"Water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink.
Shipwrecked people shout it, as they drift upon the sea,"

It sure is bad, but the saddest cry I've heard in my whole life
Is the one you hear, when you lend and ear, to the Coin Collector's Wife.

Money, money everywhere, but not a pice to spend;
If this keeps up, our marriage is coming to an end.
Money in every dresser drawer and money on the shelf;
But there isn't one thin pice to spend upon myself.
Silver rupees and nickel rupees , and golden fivers, too!
Some of them are old and worn, and some of them are new.
I wish my husband cared as much about the way I look. . . .
The paycheck that he gets doesn't seem to mean a thing to me,
'Cause hubby needs a Land Vital two rupee.
As soon as he gets the coin, he'll be looking for some other;
I think I'd be better off if I went on home to mother.
One day in desperation, I took a rupee two;
His yell can shatter the heavens, I tell you that is true!
Another time I took a coin that he said was a "proof;"
When I told him I spent it, I thought he'd raise the roof!
With all that money 'round the house, we're really very poor;
I'm getting sick and tired of it, of that I'm really sure!
So, I advise you, single girls, if you want a happy life;
Don't marry a coin collector and be a Coin Collector's Wife,
Shouting, "Money money everywhere and not a pice to spend;"
Don't ever let a coin collector be more than just a friend.

P.S. The poem was written by some collector in the U.S. ; and I modified it in the Indian context. Like, using rupees instead of dollars and pice in place of dime. BTW, I think your wives will like this one.
:P 

No comments: